Monday, June 6, 2011

Summer Beautiful

Spring is my favorite time of the year. Summer is only a fraction of any measure behind. There are several reasons Spring is my favorite. No snow, warmer temperatures, flowering trees, and the knowledge that summer is ever so close. The best part about my summers is that my Spencer gets to be here with us.

I picked Spencer up on Friday and had the most interesting rest-stop experience of my life. After having driven for 6 strait hours, I was very very tired. Despite having consumed 64 ounces of Cup o' Life ( my pet name for Dr. Pepper). So, we stopped at a rest area for a potty break, and to take a little nap. I've done that dozens of times between here and there over the years, and didn't think anything would be any different.
I forgot I was in my husband's car.
A car which has, oh shall we say *ahem* unique? license plates.
After our pit stop, Spence and I got back in the car, cracked the windows to let in a breeze, tilted our seats back and tried to catch some zzzz's.
This car of my husband's also has a very noisy alarm system. Spencer accidentally set it off. I frantically tried to turn it off, but it made a lot of noise for much longer than I would have liked. The noise probably drew the attention of the FedEx truckers who turned and began to approach our vehicle. Oh great. They think we're stealing it. Oh wait - The 11-year-old- is in the driver's seat (It couldn't tilt back as much for sleeping and he wasn't tired, so we switched). I was trying to think of what to tell them, when they let me know that they just wanted to know what the license plates meant. Oh.
"Well, my husband (yes a grown man who has a college education, a job, owns a house, is married and has a baby and a step-son) loves the Power Rangers, and so he named his car after one." (I love him for loving the Power Rangers. It's a cute quirk that keeps us feeling young.)
We all had a good laugh about that one. Thinking I could now take a nap, I layed back down. But the sun was too hot. So I got my jacket out of the back seat and positioned it in the windows to create some shade. As I was doing so, a guy walks by the car, smiles, and heads to his motorcycle parked near us. I layed back down again.
"Are you naked in there?"
What?!"Um, no...just trying to make some shade to take a nap."
"Oh, well if you decide to get naked, just let me know & I'll walk by again"

Apparently, a noisy car draws all sorts of attention. I've never been hit on like that in my life & was so completely embarrassed, I decided to skip the nap and speed to the next C-store for some more Cup o' Life and something crunchy to munch on to make it through the rest of the trip. On the way, we passed the FedEx guys, who honked their big diesel horns at us. I guess they like the Power Rangers, too ;)

Now that the ordeal of our road trip is behind us, we are settling into our summer groove. Thankfully the weather has been nice for a few days in a row (this seems normal for weather at the beginning of June, but it has been a miracle this year!) Jaden is just loving having his big brother here - he laughs at anything Spencer does & thinks his big brother is the greatest thing since sitting forward in his car seat. I am SO ready for the beauty of this summer!

0 comments:

Post a Comment